The things that interest me…why not share it to the world???

Monday, June 9, 2008

Snakes: The Longest, The Most Venomous, The Smallest

June 1, 2008-June 7, 2008

The reticulated python (Python reticulatus) is the world’s longest snake. It is a non-venomous python species native to Southeast Asian nations such as Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines. It can grow up to about 30 feet (9.1 meters) in length. The longest reticulated python ever recorded reaches a maximum length of 32 feet and 9 inches, somewhat longer than the largest anaconda.

The most venomous snake in the world is the inland taipan or the fierce snake (Oxyuranus microlepidotus). Its venom is 50 times more toxic than that of the Indian cobra and 650 to 850 times more toxic than that of the western or eastern diamondback. It can kill as many as 250,000 mice or 100 human adults in just about 45 minutes. Though known as the most venomous snake, the inland taipan’s bites may somehow be treated with antivenin.

The thread snake (Leptotyphlops bilineatus) is known as the smallest snake in the world. It is a blind non-toxic snake species found in the Lesser Antilles, particularly in Martinique, Barbados and Saint Lucia. Its average length is only 11 centimeters or 4.5 inches. As small as it is, it can be slithered through a pencil if the lead is removed.

Make sure to leave a comment, ok?

Related Posts by Categories



8 comments:

ness said...

awesome!
i'm scared of snakes. except maybe for the smallest one. but i wouldn't want one of that coming out of my pencils...

online slots said...

The smallest is so cute!=)

Sports Directory said...

Thanks for sharing this cool info, i never such a small snake even on TV Programs.

Regards,

Sophie

Drupal Experts said...

Great to know about the snakes, I like the tiny one.. wonderful share!

LianaFloresFuentes said...

Thanks for posting marvelous ones! I enjoyed reading it , You Will Be a great author.I Will Remember to bookmark your blog and Eventually Will come back later in life. I want to Encourage you to definitely continue your great work, have a nice day!

Cheap Hotel Tel Aviv said...

I've already seen that otyphlops bilineatus when i was in high school. when we are task to bring our pets and one of my classmate brought a thread snake. Its kinda cute .

Hotel Software said...

thats a big snake! i really dont like snakes. and i fear them! but anyways, nice blog, you took the photos nicely.

Liana Fuentes said...

I like to take a break during the my day and look through some blogs to see what others are saying. This blog appeared in my search and I could not help clicking on it. I'm happy I did because it was a very interesting read.